Tuesday, August 6, 2013

More Natural Birth Motivation

I'm sure lots of women firmly believe that they are married to the greatest guy on the planet, but I just can't imagine anyone else having a better husband than Justin. Not only does he get me as a person, which can be hard when you're a reserved introvert like myself, but he constantly helps me better understand myself and cheers me on in my endeavors. (What a great quality to have in husband, right?)

Today Justin was able to go with me to my 36 (and-a-half) week appointment with my OB-GYN. This was the big one...the one where we found out for sure if Levi was head-down (he is...yay!), and where we found out if I was dilated and/or effaced at all yet. This was also the appointment where we discussed my birth plan with my doctor, so I was a little nervous. This may come as a surprise to some people, but I actually hate conflict and will avoid it at all costs when talking to someone I don't know well (like my doctor). I could tell this was going to be a problem because, as supportive and awesome as my doctor is, she is definitely a fan of pain-relieving drugs during labor. I knew I would have to come into my appointment with confidence, and having Justin there to support me was such a great help.

While I would rate my performance of confidence as mediocre, Justin was a great support. After the appointment Justin sat down with me and asked me how I felt after the appointment and expressed his conviction that he firmly believes in my ability to accomplish a natural birth. In my last post I talked about a quote that I found to motivate me during this process - today, Justin provided an unforgettable (and funny) image for me. He said, "Approach your labor the way that Ron Swanson approaches a steak." Haha! My fellow Parks and Rec fans know what this means, but in case you aren't a fan of hilarious mockumentaries, here's a clip of Ron Swanson, the epitome of all that is man, ordering a steak: Ron Swanson Ordering Steak

I absolutely love my husband and I know it would be tough to be committed to natural birth without his support. Let's be real, lots of people don't support/understand/appreciate the decision or desire to have a natural birth. As frustrating as that may be, it's ok, because the one person that matters, the one person that will be in the room cheering me on, believes I can do it.

No comments:

Post a Comment