Monday, July 29, 2013

Natural Birth Motivation

As some of you may know, I plan on having Levi naturally, meaning that I do not plan to use any pain-relieving or labor-enhancing medications during his birth. I know this means that I need to prepare for a whole lot of pain, but I also believe that, for me, it is the best way to give birth. I know it's best for a healthy baby because of the lack of drugs, and I really want to be able to fully experience the entire birthing process.

That being said, planning on a natural birth in a hospital takes some serious preparation, not just to prepare myself physically, but also to get ready to deal with a hospital staff that may disagree with your choice. Based on a recommendation from a friend, I read the book Natural Hospital Birth by Cynthia Gabriel. Click here to visit the website that goes with the book. During parts of the book, I was a little turned off by the semi-combative approach to hospitals and whatnot, but the final chapter made up for all of that. It tells the story of a couple who had two children naturally and their different experiences at two different hospitals. It taught me the importance of remaining confident in my choices without being rude or confrontational. Now I know that I need to stop telling people that I will "try" to give birth naturally, but that I need to openly own the fact that I fully believe in my ability to do it.

With that being said, I came across an old quote that has become my mantra for this whole experience: "I am not afraid...I was born to do this." - Joan of Ark. I know I can do this. If I have to have an unwanted medical intervention because of an emergency situation with Levi, that's fine, but I full believe in my physical ability to have him naturally and I am really looking forward to the experience.

2 comments:

  1. I hope everything goes exactly how you want it to with the delivery! Emily was breach a week before her due date, so we had my chiropractor use a technique to get her into position (actually, we had to do this twice...strong willed girl that she is) and then they induced me before she could flip again. All of this was to avoid a c-section. In the end, we had to have a c-section anyway because she would not engage, meaning after 18 hours of labor, I couldn't dilate past a 3 and Emily's heart rate started jumping around, which was scary.

    All of that is to say that if it doesn't go the way you are hoping it will, don't be bummed out! I know a few moms who let their birth experience be totally ruined because they were upset it didn't go the way they planned. God knows exactly what is going to happen and he has a plan for you and Levi. If things change from your birth plan, don't let it spoil the experience! Do whatever is best to deliver a healthy baby and have a healthy mama! Take it from me, a c-section is not the end of the world! Although I wish I hadn't had to do it, I trusted my doctor that it was best for my baby. When it's all said and done, you are going to be in sleep-deprived Heaven and it won't matter how he arrived.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jennifer! I've encountered some disappointed moms as well and I really don't want to join them. I know that in the end, Levi's health matters most, and if that means a C-section then I'll do it knowing that I did what was best for him. I'm definitely working to keep that in my mind during all of this.

    ReplyDelete