Sunday, October 6, 2013

Refocusing

Lately I've been living an unbalanced life. I know I should cut myself some slack since I just had a kid, but now that a month has passed it feels like things should start to come back together. While Levi is clearly my top priority, as he should be, my other priorities seem overwhelmed and out of whack. When he's sleeping, I can decide what I should do, but my decisions during this time are usually poor (aka I binge-watch reality TV on Netflix). Because of this, I spend my time stressing over the fact that I should be finding a feasible way to exercise (because I'm still limited physically as to what I can do), working on my thesis (whoops...), finding time for prayer and spiritual focus, getting as many chores done as possible (so I can spend time with Justin when he gets home), and taking care of myself (grown-ups need naps too!).

Justin and I have talked about this several times, but I still can't find the motivation or direction to distress and just do what I need to do. Thankfully, this evening I had one of those moments where you read something that directly pertains to what you're going through right then. I was reading How Deep A Mother's Love...A Devotional Journey (thanks Shelli!) and the devotional was about finding proper perspective. It talks about feeling lost or overwhelmed with the demands of motherhood and life and how the best way to re-center yourself is through God. I know, some of you are probably like, "Duh Annelise! I could have told you that...," but regardless of the simplicity, I needed to read that today.

All of these things that make me feel stressed and unbalanced are really just worries, but, as the devotional says, if I spend less time worrying and more time focusing on God and the blessings he has given me, I will be able to relax and find the perspective I need to do what I need to do (instead of staying in my living room all day).

No comments:

Post a Comment