Thursday, October 31, 2013

A Halloween Tree

Growing up, my family had a Christmas tradition where we would turn on a Christmas movie and decorate the tree together. We each had our own stash of ornaments, making the whole tradition extra special and personal. The tree itself is consequently one of my favorite parts of the holiday. I guess this tradition made me long for a similar feel during my favorite holiday - Halloween - and this year I decided to make that happen in a small way. Our Halloween tree sits on our dining table.



To make the tree, I found some spooky stems in the floral section of Hobby Lobby, placed them in a tall vase, and wrapped it with some mummy wrap, also from HL.

For the ornaments, I drew designs for 6 different Halloween shapes on tracing paper and then cut them out and used them as patterns on felt. I actually made them a couple years ago with the intention of making a Halloween garland for our fireplace, but that didn't pan out. Consequently however, I don't have pictures of the process...sorry! Each little guy is made solely of felt, with the details embroidered on and stuffed with a little cotton stuffing.





Decorating for the holidays is always fun, but it takes on new meaning and significance when you have a kid. There's something extra special about creating a unique and fun atmosphere that they can faithfully look forward to each year. I hope this tree helps create some of that special holiday tradition and anticipation for my kiddo.

No comments:

Post a Comment